Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Series Spotlight: Just Human by Kerry Heavens

Okay, this isn't really a series, but one book is the sequel to the other so, I am counting it. Yesterday I helped reveal the cover to Kerry Heavens' upcoming book Spencer, so I thought it would be a good time to highlight her two other books!

In an earlier post (like when I first started this blog) I wrote about how soon after I got an e-reader, I realized that there are a lot of authors out there that I was not reading. These two books, Just Human and Still Human, were among the first I read once I started to stray from my usual group of authors. 


Liv and Danny. 

Danny and Liv. 

Good god I love these two. Danny moved to England when he was a child and lived next door to Liv. Being neighbors, they grew up together and eventually became high school sweethearts. They truly loved each other. Unfortunately for them, they never told each other how they really felt and Danny follows his family back to the United States for college. They try to keep in touch at first, but eventually they drift apart. They move on with their lives and twelve years later Liv signs into Facebook and gets the shock of her life when she received a message from Danny. What follows is a story full of friendship, surprises, disappointments, heartbreak, forgiveness and most of all LOVE. 

The first book ends on a bit of a cliffhanger and I immediately grabbed the second book (luckily they were both out already). These two were perfect together and I wasn't going to be happy until I knew that they got their Happily Ever After. 

I loved Danny in the first book, but his actions in the second book catapulted him onto my book boyfriend list. I was swooning all over the place. Then again pretty much anything he did for Liv had me swooning. Every once in a while I read a book and part of me really hopes that a real life version of a character exists. Danny is one of those characters. 

These books basically solidified that fact that "friends to lovers" is my favorite trope. Then add in the fact that this ALSO a kind of a second chance romance and I am in! So much goodness in these books!

Here's a little excerpt from Just Human:
“Is that her?”
“Yeah, she looks really different. She’s pierced her nose…and lip! Wow.”
“She’s pretty.”
“Yeah, she always was. She looks really different, but it’s her.”
I stare at her. I want to see more, but I can’t unless I add her and she accepts. I’ve purposely never searched for her. In fact, I’ve never looked up anyone else I knew from England either, mainly because I wasn’t bothered, but also in case they were friends with her.
“So?” asks Jen, looking at me expectantly.
“So, what do you think I should do?”
“Well, what do you think you should do?”
“God, Jen. I don’t know. You know what it did to me, leaving her behind.”
Jen looks at me pensively for a moment and then opens her mouth to say something. Closing it again, she changes her mind. I watch her, waiting. She starts again.
“Can I ask you something?”
“Anything.”
“Why have you never settled down?”
I laugh. “I don’t know, I’ve never met the right girl I guess.”
“Maybe…maybe you have met the right girl…but you had to leave her behind.” She finishes with her sweetest smile to soften the blow.
“Don’t say that, I’m barely holding it together as it is!”
I rub my face. This can’t be happening.
“She made it clear, she thought it was for the best that I leave. I wanted more, way more, you know that, but it wasn’t what she wanted. I tried to stay in touch but she was obviously moving on, you know the rest, you were there. I can’t do that again. Besides, if she wanted to find me she could have. It isn’t her asking for contact. She probably hasn’t thought about me in years.”
“I don’t believe that. This Connie woman obviously thinks you should get in touch. Maybe she never got over you either.”
“I’d love to talk to her, find out how she is. But what if it isn’t enough? What if…I can’t risk it?”
“Danny, you know as well as I do that you’ll do this. If not, it’ll eat you up.”
“Shit…Shit!” I put my head in my hands, pausing for a moment, gathering my thoughts and breathing deeply. Then I sit up, grab the laptop and click ‘Message’ and hammer it out before I change my mind. She’s right; it will eat me up if I don’t.
From: Danny Morgan 
23rd March 
Hey! I was reminded of you today. How’s life? Add me if you feel like chatting to an old friend. 
Danny x
 I hit send. Fuck!
“Good for you,” says Jen, beaming from ear to ear.
“You know this is going to fuck with my head. I hope you can spare the time, it looks like you’re going back into the therapy business,” I grin. I’m terrified, but I can’t deny it, it’s a real buzz too. Liv. Christ! Suddenly she’s real again. What is she like?
“What time is it?”
Jen cranes her neck and checks the clock on the wall.
“9:45.” I’m going to go shower.”
“That saves us a conversation!” she jokes. I jump up and as she stands I grab her and force her face into my armpit.
“Urgh! You are so gross! Get out of here!” she laughs.
Keep reading for a synopsis of each book as well as Amazon buy links. And take a look at those pretty covers...LOVE THEM!!





Meet Liv and Danny...

Liv loves Danny. She knows she loves him more than he loves her, so she lets him go without a fight when his parents make him move back to America. She knows she will never love anyone like she loved him, but she has to move on.

Danny loves Liv. He knows he loves her more than she loves him, because she does nothing to get him to stay, so he goes quietly when his parents leave the UK. He knows he will never love anyone like he loved her, but he has to move on.

Twelve years on, they have made a good job of pretending, they may have almost forgotten. But when they get in touch via Facebook, it seems that it is all still there.

They quickly find that they are intensely compatible in ways they hadn’t even begun to explore before they were forced apart.

Can they put aside their fears and give it a go? Or will deep rooted doubts and insecurities tear them apart?

Amazon buy link: http://amzn.com/B00E251RHY




Danny and Liv are back...

Danny loves Liv. He knows he loves her more than she loves him because she ran without a word when she saw their future mapped out before her. He knows he will never love anyone like he loved her and this time he doesn’t think he can move on.

Liv loves Danny. She knows she loves him more than he loves her because he broke her heart in the worst possible way, right when things were falling into place. She knows she will never love anyone like she loves him and this time she doesn’t think she can move on.

They needed a second chance because they just weren’t ready for their first, but when events changed everything between them, they discovered they were just human after all. Now Liv and Danny have to find a way to survive being hurt by each other.

They doubted, they underestimated and they did believe the worst, but only because they were too young the first time and too vulnerable the second time. But now they have changed and if they are not the same, surely things can only turn out differently?


Amazon buy link: http://amzn.com/B00G1N5ASW

No comments:

Post a Comment