Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Review: Broken (Redemption #1) by Lauren Layne


When Olivia Middleton abandons the glamour of Park Avenue for a remote, coastal town in Maine, everyone assumes she’s being the kind do-gooder she’s always been. But Olivia has a secret: helping an injured war veteran reenter society isn’t about charity—it’s about penance. Only, Olivia’s client isn’t the grateful elderly man she’s expecting. Instead, he’s a brooding twenty-four-year-old who has no intention of being Olivia’s path to redemption . . . and whose smoldering gaze and forbidden touch might be her undoing.

Paul Langdon doesn’t need a mirror to show him he’s no longer the hotshot quarterback he was before the war. He knows he’s ugly—inside and out. He’ll do anything to stay in self-imposed exile, even accept his father’s ultimatum that Paul tolerate the newest caretaker for three months or lose his inheritance. But Paul doesn’t count on the beautiful twenty-two-year-old who makes him long for things that he can never have. And the more she slips past his defenses, the more keeping his distance is impossible.

Now Paul and Olivia have to decide: Will they help each other heal? Or are they forever broken?




My Review


Olivia is running away. She made a mistake, ruined a couple relationships and wants to hide. She takes a job as a caregiver for who she thinks is "crippled, middle aged recluse." Paul is not at all what Olivia thinks he will be. After coming home from the war injured and scarred (inside and out), he is hiding from the world. His father has given him an ultimatum: Olivia (who is now his 6th caregiver) stays for three months or he loses his very large inheritance. 

Their first meeting does not go well at all and they leave that encounter being very angry, but also very turned on. They were both expecting the other to be the complete opposite of who they actually are, so it is all a bit jarring. 


Paul gives Olivia absolutely no reason to be nice to him. He is just downright mean to her at times, but she knows that he is in a lot of pain, physically and mentally. They do start to bond over something that may seem very small, but to Paul it reminds of him of the man he used to be. Unfortunately it doesn't take much to set him off and just when you think think they are starting a real relationship, something happens and the two are fighting like cats and dogs. I still liked Paul, especially when he was with Olivia and I was rooting for them to make things work. He was dealing with a lot of stuff and Olivia was the only person who could make him face his demons, which is what he needed to do. 


Despite the crazy relationship that these two have, they have ridiculous chemistry. Every time they get together it is off the charts hot:

You’re beautiful,” he says, his voice turning regretful. “You deserve someone equally beautiful.”
My heart clenches at the expression on his face, and I sit up, kneeling in front of him. And then I show him what I don’t know how to say with words. I lean forward and very softly kiss a thin, ragged scar running from his left shoulder to the center of his chest.
He sucks in a breath. “Don’t.”
I ignore him, kissing my way up his neck, lingering along that perfect, harsh jawline before moving over to his right side.
He tenses as he realizes what I’m about to do. “Don’t.”
My hands find his before he can push me away, and gently my lips touch the first of the raised scars on his face. I follow suit with the other two scars, each touch of my lips letting him know that to me he is perfect.
Paul crushes his mouth to mine then, pushing me onto my back. His hand slides between my legs, finding me wet and wanting. He pulls back only long enough to remove his boxers before he comes back to me, sliding one long finger into me without warning.
"You need to be sure about this,” he says, his voice hoarse against my neck as he fingers me. “No regrets tomorrow.”
Regrets? Definitely the furthest thing from my mind right now, and I slide my hand down to his erection to show him so.
He swears before grabbing both of my wrists and pinning them above my head with one hand.
“I can’t go slow, Olivia. Not with you, not this first time. I can’t promise gentle, either. Maybe next time,” he says with a little laugh.
My heart is a little stunned—and glad, beyond glad—to realize that he’s planning on a next time.
I squirm. “I don’t want gentle.”
This was my first Lauren Layne book and I really liked it. I didn't know Olivia's back story, but it didn't matter. I read it very quickly and when it was over I immediately looked to see when the next book would be out. It also helps that this a twist on Beauty and the Beast, which is my favorite Disney movie.  

Amazon buy link: http://amzn.com/B00IWTSKBW

No comments:

Post a Comment