Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

5 Star Review: Cement Heart (Viper's Heart #1) by Beth Ehemann

Lawrence Finkle, known simply to his die-hard Minnesota Wild fans as Viper, isn’t used to hearing the word no. He lives his whole life just a little on the reckless side. After all, life is just one big game, right? Wrong.

When what was supposed to be an innocent bet goes horribly wrong, he’s left to deal with the aftermath—and the guilt. In an effort to make things right the best way he can, he ends up falling for the one person on the planet he never should have.

The old saying goes that two wrongs don’t make a right . . . or do they?






My Review

I received an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

I freaking loved this book. I don't know what I expected Viper's story to be, but it wasn't this. (Does that make sense?) The plot takes an unexpected turn a few chapters in and I was definitely surprised by Viper's love interest. I was thinking it was going to be someone completely different! So well done Beth Ehemann...got to keep us readers on our toes!

I love Viper. At the beginning of the book he is the happy go lucky, manwhore that we know and love. Unfortunately tragedy strikes and Viper starts to spiral. When he finally pulls his head out of his grief he realizes that he isn't the only one who is suffering. He realizes that he has been neglecting everything and everyone in his life and he needs to change. And he does.

I don't want to give away anything, but I will say that Viper and his love interest help heal each other and it's a beautiful story. They both hold back their true feelings for most of, but eventually they can't hold back any longer. While I was surprised by it all, I was very happy with the way it all played out. I know I am being very vague, but going in blind is the best way to read this book.

I do have to say that my favorite character in this book is Viper's grandmother. She is HILARIOUS!! She made me laugh out loud more than once and she made no apologies for being the outspoken, whiskey drinking grandma we all wish we could have. And I may not drink whiskey, but I too eat ice cream for dinner sometimes....

“Here, drink this.” She handed me a glass of sweet tea along with a couple aspirin. “And take those. You really do look like shit.” 
I smiled and shook my head as I washed the pills down with a swig of tea.
“So, what’s new with you?” I leaned back in my chair. 
“Well, I’m not dead yet, so that’s something to celebrate.”
She raised her jar in the air before taking a drink.
I looked back and forth from my glass to hers. “Why does your tea look different?” 
“Because my tea is whiskey.” She grinned proudly.

“Whiskey?” I stared at it incredulously before checking the time on my phone. “It’s ten thirty in the morning.”
 
“Lawrence, when you’re my age, you learn to do things when you want to do them, not when it’s socially acceptable. Hell, who knows if I’ll still be around at dinner time? While we’re on the subject, I had half a tub of mint chocolate chip ice cream for dinner last night. Cheers!” She raised her glass again and winked at me.
We also get some Brody and Kacie in this book, which is always a good thing. They are like family to Viper and if there is one thing Viper needs, it is family. 

I don't know what Beth has up for us next, but I will be reading it. Now go 1-click on this book!!!

Amazon buy link: http://amzn.com/B00UPSYGXE

No comments:

Post a Comment