Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Review: Beholden by Corinne Michaels (Belonging Duet #2)

Synopsis

Catherine Pope got a second chance at love, only to have it ripped away—again. She should’ve known better.

But she dared to hope.
She refuses to let fate take the reins this time. Catherine decides she’s going to fight.

Jackson Cole risked it all.
He thought this time would be different.
With his loyalties pulling him in two directions—it’s time to make a choice…his past or his future.

Will they be beholden to their fears or will they both fight against their demons and finally find the love they both long for?








My Review


Holy crap. This book. I finished reading this at like 3am last night. I just couldn't put it down and I had to finish it before I went to sleep.


The first book ended on quite the cliffhanger and it doesn't take long in the second book to find out what happens. Jackson is injured and is not waking up. Catherine has not left his side and desperately wants him to wake up so they can start their life together. She has finally decided that she is going to fight for their relationship and just when think they are getting their happily ever after...BAM! Another stumbling block. 


I thought I got emotional during the first book. Nope. In this book I full on UGLY CRIED. And not just once. I cried multiple times and was emotionally spent by the end of the book. 


This book brings the DRAMA. A lot happens. Secrets are brought to light. Hearts are broken. Old enemies show their faces.  And most importantly, there are quite a few goodbyes. Goodbyes that broke my heart and made me sob like a baby.  

Throughout all the drama Jackson is still his wonderful self. He says the sweetest things, even after he has been unconscious for a week:
Jackson looks away uncomfortably. “All I can think about is that you won’t be here if I go to sleep. When I opened my eyes and saw you I thought I’d died."
“What? Why would you think that?” I ask confused.
He turns to me with love and conviction as he grips my hand. “Catherine, you’re my heaven. So I thought I was dead, because that’s when I thought I’d see you again.”
Cue me needing a tissue.  

Catherine goes through a lot in this book. She becomes this kick ass, amazing, STRONG woman that I want as my best friend. I want to hang out with her and drink a bottle of wine.

Mark was the unsung hero in this book because he FINALLY gives Jackson the words that he needed to hear. Yes, I wanted Catherine and Jackson to work things out, but the guilt that Jackson carried around with him was not only heartbreaking, but it was causing him to make crappy decisions. Thank god for Mark: 
“Of course not! You weren’t the only one in that village, asshole. You weren’t the only one who watched Aaron go and handle the issues in Afghanistan that either one of us could’ve dealt with. You didn’t fucking go to Natalie and tell her that her husband was dead. No, fucker, I did that. I had to knock on her door, catch her in my arms as she lost it. So kiss my fucking ass."
“You still don’t get it. We were a fucking team. I left the Navy after you did because where you go, I go. I followed because you, me, and Aaron— we’re a team.” Mark balls his fists up and steps toward me. “You aren’t the only one in this team. I’ve watched every single fucking one of them die. I watched you die too, you son of a bitch.” He points his finger and jabs me in the chest. I push him back away from me. And he stumbles.
High five Mark! I'm still hoping that he will get his own book. *fingers crossed*


The author's next book is about Natalie, who we meet in this book. She is the widow of one Jackson's friends and I can't wait to read it. My heart broke (it did that a lot while reading this book) for her and I really want her to get a happy ending that she deserves.  

Amazon buy link: http://amzn.com/B00OEMGIRE

No comments:

Post a Comment