Pages

Friday, April 15, 2016

5 Star Review: Resisting Roots (Lotus House #1) by Audrey Carlan

Yoga instructor Genevieve Harper is a blond bombshell loaded down with responsibility and sacrifice. She makes the most out of raising her two siblings in the wake of their parents’ tragic accident. At twenty-four, she doesn’t have time to devote to a man…especially not the devastatingly handsome. 

Trent Fox, who’s known for being a “player” on and off the baseball field. Trent has the best hitting average in the league. Recently, he suffered a torn hamstring that takes him to the Lotus House Yoga Center for recuperation. There he meets the curvy, petite blonde with soulful black eyes and candy-coated glossy lips he’d like to do more to than kiss. He secures the flexible hottie for daily private lessons that ultimately show him how sensual the art of yoga can be.

Can love grow between a woman who’s rooted in her life and a man who resists any notion of staying in one place?


Add to your TBR on Goodreads









My Review

Genevieve Harper's parents passed away three years ago and she became guardian to her younger brother and sister. To make ends meet she is not only a yoga instructor, but is also a hairdresser. She does her best to make sure her siblings' lives stay as normal as possible. Trent Fox (that name!) is anything but normal. People know him as the best hitter in all of professional baseball. He is recovering from a hamstring injury and is basically forced to take yoga as part of his rehabilitation. He is not thrilled about the idea, but then he shows up to Genevieve's class:
“Just…sit here and follow along. I’ll call out the cues, and if anything puts too much pressure on the hamstring, back off from doing it. I need to start class, but we can talk more about your injury and rehabilitation after class if you’d like.”
“I think I’d like that very much, gumdrop.”
“Gumdrop?” An eyebrow slightly darker than her hair color rose.
Leaning deep into her personal space, I got closer to her ear. Her body trembled the closer I got. Oh, I liked that response in a woman. Too much. She laid a tentative hand on my bicep, and I flexed. With a woman like this, I’d use every trick in the book to get her attention. She probably had men beating down her door. Hell, she probably had a boyfriend. Just the thought of another man touching her, made me grind my teeth.
“Your lips are pretty and pink and look as sweet as candy. Reminds me of a pink sugarcoated cherry gumdrop. My favorite.” 
“Oh.”
There were two kinds of women. The kind that love any type of nick name, endearment or attention I might deem to lavish on them, or the feminist kind that flip out at the first hint of what they might consider chauvinism. Genevieve’s simple “Oh”spoke volumes about her. I would not be able to peg her down or predict her responses. She left me as quickly as she had arrived and headed to the platform without further comment.
GAH!! These two! Their one on one yoga sessions were filled with sexual tension that will make you all squirmy and think "OMG! Just do it already!" It doesn't take Trent long to make it very clear that he is interested in Genevieve. To say that she is wary of him, is an understatement. He not only has a reputation for being a player, but she cannot see what he sees in her. She is a 24 year old woman who takes care of her two siblings, works two jobs to help support her family and she still has trouble making ends meet. Even after she goes out with him, and as much as the other people in her life see Trent as a good thing, she has a hard time accepting that he would want anything to do with her or her crazy family life. 

But Trent was just....wow. He understood her concerns, but did everything he could to show that he wanted her, no matter what. *SWOON* I loved how well he fit into the Harper family and it was almost as though he had always been there. He becomes that male presence that her family had been lacking the last three years. Genevieve's brother is 16 years old and is hoping that a baseball scholarship will help him get through college and Trent offers valuable advice. Even Genevieve's little sister becomes smitten with Trent...then again, you can't really blame her. Trent is the ultimate book boyfriend. 

This book was such a pleasant surprise. I like when I read a synopsis and think "Oh well that is something I have never read before!" and that is exactly what happened with this book. Sure, I have read plenty of books about athletes, but for me, the yoga aspect of it was what made it interesting. And both in AND out of the bedroom. There is this one scene where....well you will just have to wait and read it for yourself. 

And the next book...OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT! It is about Genevieve's best friend friend Amber, who we meet in this book. Amber is a 22 year old virgin who offers to help (I'm talking hands on help) the tantric yoga teacher with his classes. It's gonna be great y'all.  





1 comment: