Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2014

5 Star Review: Eyes Turned Skyward (Flight & Glory #2) by Rebecca Yarros

Since her sister's death, twenty-year-old Paisley Donovan, who shares her sister’s heart condition, is treated like delicate glass by her parents. But nothing will stop her from completing her Bucket List—even if it kills her. And it almost does, until Jagger Bateman pulls her from the ocean and breathes more than air into her lungs—he sets her soul on fire.

Jagger is enrolled in the country's toughest flight school. He's wickedly hot, reckless, and perfect for a girl looking to live life to the fullest. Except that Paisley is the commanding general's daughter, and her boyfriend is Jagger's biggest rival. Now Paisley must decide just how much to risk for a guy who makes her heart pound a little too hard.

They're flying through dangerous territory—and one wrong move could make them crash and burn..









My Review

So when I read “Full Measures” and freaking LOVED Ember and Josh to pieces I thought “Well there is no way to top these two!” Pretty much every time I feel that way an author proves me wrong, so a round of applause to all of you amazing authors who keep proving me wrong! Keep it up! LOL. But now we have been given Paisley and Jagger and I have three words for the author: LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. (I could have easily read this book in one sitting, but things like work and sleeping got in the way.)


Paisley is making her way through a bucket list and is counting down the days. She suffers from a heart condition that her sister also suffered from and is convinced that she will never be older than her sister. She is counting down the days until she reaches the same age as her sister was when she died. So yeah…Paisley is counting down the days until she dies, at least that is what she thinks. Today’s item is to “ditch responsibilities and head to the beach” which is exactly what she is doing. While on the beach she spies someone who she immediately labels “Mr. California”:

My Kindle hit the sand with my jaw. I’d never seen a man so beautiful, so raw in energy, or so…delicious looking. He stood easily over six feet tall and had no problem leaping for the Frisbee. His blue board shorts hung low on his hips, and his chest was beautifully bare, colored in tattoos that stretched across his abdomen, half his chest, and down one arm. The Florida sun caressed the line of his carved abs, giving him a fine sheen of perspiration that made his skin glow.

 His blond hair was cut close, but long enough to wave, and it framed a gorgeous face. Strong nose, angular lines of his cheekbones, a solid chin, and oh…dimples in his cheeks when he grinned. He belonged on a beach.

Paisley’s day goes from relaxing to dangerous after a drunk guy throws her into the ocean. Turns out she can’t swim, but luckily Mr. California sees her and saves her life. Turns out Mr. California’s name is Jagger and he immediately feels responsible for Paisley. After a quick trip to the clinic to make sure Paisley is okay, they part ways thinking they will probably never see each other again.

Of course that isn’t the case and Paisley goes to work one day to find Jagger there. While talking he offers to give Paisley swimming lessons and she accepts. The two vow to “just be friends” since Paisley is dating Will, but they are both attracted to each other and they just can’t deny what they feel. Things develop from there, but they are both holding on to secrets. Paisley is hesitant to tell Jagger about her heart condition and Jagger isn’t honest about his family’s past, but their connection that is so strong that they can get through anything. And despite some stumbling blocks along the way these two do eventually find their HEA.

Jagger. *big sigh* Where do I start? He’s a ridiculously hot, funny, laid back, supportive, tattooed, tongue pierced, loyal, uniform wearing pilot. And I LOVE him. He’s not one to just be friends with a girl and Josh (Yay Josh!!) calls him out on it:


“He’s been friend zoned.” Masters slid in behind us, and I crushed the impulse to punch him in the throat. Mostly because he was right.

 “I chose the friend zone.” 

Josh’s mouth dropped open. 

“What?” I snapped. 

He shook his head and pulled his stuff out to take notes. “I’ve just never seen you hung up on a girl, that’s all.”

But despite his past and hang-ups about relationships Jagger doesn’t just fall in love with Paisley. He fall in heart stopping, all consuming, deeply intense love with Paisley.


 “I’m…” His eyes almost glowed in their intensity. “I’m begging you. Stop pushing me away, because I’m not going anywhere. I love you, and it’s not the kind of love that wavers. It’s the scary kind that doesn’t fade. I look at you, and I see not just everything I want for my life, but everything I am, because you took the emptiest, darkest pits of my soul and filled them with you. You are as much a part of me as my own heart, and it doesn’t beat without you. You pump through my veins and you fill my lungs. I may have saved you, but you’re the one who breathes for me every day. Do you get that? Stop pushing me away, because you make me imagine things, want things I never thought I could. Words like ‘forever,’ and ‘vows,’ and…‘family.’ I know I’m not good at that last one— ” 

I mean....come on. Talk about a swoon worthy speech. Who wouldn’t want the man they love to express their feelings like that?

In this book we meet Jagger’s new roommate Grayson. I loved him. We get some glimpses into who he is, but he really is a big mystery. It’s obvious that he is a good friend to Jagger and he provides some much needed support when Jagger needs it the most. AND he is apparently one hell of a pilot. I say anything more, but I will say that I yelled out “Plot twist!’ towards the end of the book. I’m looking forward to learning more about him.

The last thing I want to talk about…Will. I didn’t hate him. I just didn’t like him very much. Once I realized that he was with Paisley for all the wrong reasons, I just didn’t care what happened to him. I couldn’t wait until he and Paisley broke up. It also didn’t help that he was kind of a d-bag to his fellow classmates and he was the class leader! He did slightly redeem himself at the end of the book when I once again yelled out “Plot Twist!” (side note: It’s really good that: 1. I wasn’t on the subway for either of those “plot twist!” moments and 2. That I was home and I live alone.) There is also a little nugget of information that comes to light towards the end of the book that involves Will that is making me go “What? Huh?” I now need to go back and reread a few parts. I think I was engrossed with Paisley and Jagger to really notice anything else that may have been going on. But hey, if it means we get another book *cough cough* I am in. *fingers crossed*



Amazon buy link
 ONLY $.99!!





No comments:

Post a Comment