Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

4 1/2 Star Review: Roommate Romance by Maggie Riley

Falling in love is not on Allison Lawson's to do list. As a professional stage manager, she's got a plan for everything - and she doesn't like surprises. So when she shows up at the apartment she's subletting, the last thing she's expecting is a roommate. Especially a tall, hunky one. 

Shane Garrett is back in Brooklyn. After his parents died five years ago, he moved upstate to take care of his younger sister. But now she's off at college, and he's ready to return to the bachelor life he used to have: living on his own, a fridge full of beer, and a new girl every night. But that didn't include a surprise appearance of a sexy brunette in his shower. He hadn't even taken her out to dinner yet.

Now Allie and Shane are sharing a one bedroom apartment - and bedroom eyes. Neither can deny the sparks that are flying between the two of them, but a relationship is not on Allie's agenda. Can Shane convince Allie that you can't plan for love?







My Review

I received an advanced copy of this book with the promise of an honest review. 

I live in NYC and I love theater. Especially musical theater. When my friends want to know what show to see, they ask me. So when I started reading this book and the author dropped some quality theater references in the first chapter, I knew I would like it. 

Allie has been assistant stage managing touring productions for a while now, but now it's time for her to go back to NYC and try to make it on Broadway. Her friend Liz has offered up her apartment to sublet, but when Allie shows up, it turns out that someone is already using it. Shane, the landlord, uses one of the first floor apartments as his workshop and has been crashing Liz's apartment. A bit taken back at first, Allie and Shane decide that cohabiting is something they can handle until Allie finds her own apartment to rent. 

The two of them become friends and Allie even helps out Shane's sister Megan with her stage fright. But as they get to know each other, it becomes very clear that they have feelings that go way beyond friendship. 
“Shane,” she said, her voice low and sultry.
Nope. Not my imagination.
As if drawn by a magnet, I put down my tools and walked towards her. As I did so, she shrugged her jacket off her shoulders and it slid to the floor, her gorgeous curves within arm’s reach. And reach for them I did.
Without another word, I took her in my arms and kissed her. And she kissed me back. Hard. With one hand, I reached out and slammed the door of the workshop closed, and then pressed her up against it. Her mouth was like heaven against mine and I lost myself in the pure pleasure of kissing her. I dragged my tongue along her bottom lip and with a sigh, she deepened the kiss, her tongue now tangling with mine.
Her lips were still chilled from the outside air, making her mouth even hotter, more inviting. She tasted like fall and champagne. Even though the workshop had heat, Allie shivered in my arms, and I pulled her tighter. I was going to warm her up from the inside.
“Hold on.” I pulled back slightly.
Her eyes were dark with lust, but narrowed in confusion. I took her bag from her and reached in, finding her phone, turning it to vibrate.
“The last thing I want is to get interrupted again,” I told her, and I tugged her back into my arms, kissing her deeply.
She didn’t miss a beat. Smiling against my mouth, her eager fingers began unbuttoning my shirt, sliding inside to touch the bare skin beneath. I leaned into her touch, needing to feel her naked body against mine. Before I could even start freeing her of her clothes, my shirt was off, and she was already focused on my jeans. But her hands stilled at my waist.
“A tool belt,” she breathed, before looking up at me with a wicked glint in her eyes. “I always liked men in tool belts.”
Fuck. I didn’t think I could have gotten harder, but apparently I was wrong. I had never understood why women found tool belts so sexy, but at that moment I didn’t give a rat’s ass about the psychology behind it. I just wanted Allie to keep looking at me that way. Like she wanted me to lap her up. Something I was more than eager to do.
“I could keep it on if you want,” I teased, but she shook her head.
“There’s only one tool I’m interested in tonight,” she said, running her palm over that particular tool.
I loved the dynamic between these two. Their chemistry was off the charts and once they crossed that line between roommates and lovers, there was no turning back. Shane was the sweetest and I just loved them!

And there are some great secondary characters that grabbed my attention. The first being Allie's brother Josh. He is in a bit of a transition period in his life and it looks like New York City will be the setting of the next chapter in his life. And then there is Allie's coworkers, Joanna & Reagan. They each have their own stories to tell and I can't wait to read them!

Discovering new authors is one of the reasons why I love doing this. The romance part of the book was great and then throw in the theater aspect and I loved it. I look forward to reading whatever Maggie gives us next.   


No comments:

Post a Comment